Copyright © 2021 TOko Enterprises, LLC - All Rights Reserved.
Open 24/7 by email or phone! In-Store: Mon-Sat 10am – 5pm | Sun: 12 – 5pm
Other times by chance or appointment.
101 West Marcy Street, Ste #2
Threads of Life is a fair trade business which works in Indonesia, preserving cultural textiles through conservation and providing a marketplace, to alleviate rural poverty among indigenous communities throughout that country. The Threads of Life Gallery in Ubud, Bali, sells high-value heirloom-quality textiles and baskets made to an exquisite standard usually only seen in museums. Jill has collected several important textiles through Threads of Life, and has begun acquiring textiles and shirts for the TOKo Santa Fe client, as a way of both supporting the work done at Threads of Life, and bringing beautiful cloth to all of our lives.
• This hand-drawn batik is reproduction of Lou Zeldis’s work in cloth. A contemporary artist who engaged Javanese batik artists to fabricate his designs, Lou’s oversized and modernist aesthetic lives on through Threads of Life, who negotiated to reproduce his work, on a limited basis.
• Use of traditional techniques of hand-drawing, via wax-resist patterning and natural dyes on cotton
• The motif of this is a combination of a stylized leaf pattern, combined with sections that are solid black. Lou spent many years in Indonesia and was fascinated with color and form in art and nature.
• Blue-black, brownish “Soga” dye and off-white
• Unisex: 30″ long x 44″ around at the chest/bust
• Straight cut, short sleeve on a man, nearly elbow-length on a woman
• The hand-writing around the edge are the names of Lou Zeldis and the artist who did the batik
• Made in Java
Cold water wash and hang to dry
We would like to know our clients better, so instead of having a “shopping cart”, we are starting out with this “order form”. Please let us know your interests, and we will follow up with you within 12 hours: answers to your question, generating and sending an invoice via Square, and we will then ship!